Sunday, February 3, 2013

License Requirements for Vehicles Used in Heavy Hauling

             There are five classes license required for heavy vehicles used in heavy hauling which are issued by the states in Australia. These are namely:

(1) A light rigid license  which covers a vehicle with a gross weight mass not more than 8 tons with a towed trailer which is less than 9 tons gross trailer mass and buses with a GVM up to 8 tons and carries more than 12 adults plus the driver;

(2) A medium rigid license which covers vehicles with 2 axles and a GVM of more than 8 tons with a towed trailer less than 9 tons;

(3) A heavy rigid license which covers a vehicle with 3 or more axles with a towed trailer less than 9 tons GTM as well as the articulated buses;

(4) A heavy combination license which covers semi-trailers or rigid vehicles towing a trailer with a GTM or more than 9 tons; and

(5) A multi combination license which covers multi combination vehicles like road trains and B double vehicles utilized in heavy hauling.  Before someone can apply for an light right license or medium rigid license he or she must have a C class (car) license for one year and two year before to apply for heavy rigid license. If he or she wants it to be upgrade to heavy combination license he or she must have the other lower vehicle licenses for a year. In Canada, the licenses of drivers are issued and regulated depending on their provinces. In United Kingdom there are one or more large goods vehicle license needed or required from truck drivers.  

                  A truck classification system is employed by the United States and truck drivers need to have commercial driver license (CDL) in order to be able to drive and manage a CMV with a gross vehicle weight rating over 26000 pounds. A skills test which is a pre-trip inspection and driving exam as well as a knowledge test which is the written exam about the handling qualities of operating a big, heavy loaded vehicle used in heavy hauling has to be passed by the applicant before he or she acquires a CDL license. The applicant has to have mechanical knowledge about the system of such vehicle. He or she must be declared fit and in good health by medical examination every two years. 

                  For passenger bus drivers, it is required that they present a current endorsement.  To obtain a CDL license the applicant must be at least 18 years of age. Those who are under 21 years of age are limited to driving within their state of licensing meaning interstate operation. Most trucking companies want applicants to be at least 23 years of age, with a year of experience at least. Other will hire those without experience but they will be the ones to train them as long as they do not have any bad record.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.